Rising Sign: a new LGBT-friendly novel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rising Sign: a new LGBT-friendly novel

Post  KatA on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Hey guys Smile

Rising Sign is a new astrological fantasy novel, with a main character who comes out partway through the novel. It truly is a great read (I'm not just saying that because the author is a good friend!!) and great for teens and adults alike.

Rising Sign has been entered into an online contest, the winner of which will be promoted via Barnes and Noble online. All my friend needs to win is to get the most votes! Could you please take a second to vote for his novel?

http://tinyurl.com/risingsigncontest

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

KatA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rising Sign: a new LGBT-friendly novel

Post  greven on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:51 am

In risk of sounding even Gay'er than I am: Oh no you didnt!
This is your first post, and I wouldnt be surprised if it was your last as well. You pop in here and asks us to vote for a book your friend wrote without having read the book or know anything about it except that you think it is a good book, and as the authors friend you can hardly be considered a good reviewer.
I'll tell you what: If I get my hands on the book and a chance to read it, then hell maybe I will vote for it, but you cant just jump into any GLBT forum and spam your way to victory. I mean your only damn selling point in this post was that it was GLBT, you dont even mention the rest of the story you douche.

I am sorry if I offended you but you are offending everyone on this forum by acting this way.
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

View user profile http://simongreve.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  KatA on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:16 am

Hello again,

I am sorry, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. It is true that I am new to this forum; it is also true that I was specifically searching for LGBT forums, as the main character of this novel (as well as the author) are gay (I am not... which is why I haven't searched out LGBT forums before now).

I would be happy to provide more background about the novel as well as my motivations in posting here.

As I mentioned in the first post, the novel is an astrological fantasy novel, about ordinary people in modern day Philadelphia who find out that their astrological sign is not just the answer to a bad pickup line, but something that gives them superpowers. They must all come together to use these powers to help save the Star Child, who in turn must save the universe.

The main character, Tim, comes out partway through the novel. I would not classify this as an "LGBT novel" because the novel does not center around the fact that he is gay, nor is it really a huge plot point. The point is more that his coming out and his sexuality are minor plot points, being gay is not a big deal to anyone in the novel and its just another great part of the storyline, and I think it would be great to see a novel like this become mainstream.

The contest that the novel is in is based purely on getting people to the site and getting votes. The competition is actively posting to online forums and getting lots of votes that way. In a desire specifically NOT to spam random forums, I tried searching for forums that seemed relevant to the material; this forum, LGBT centered on LGBT comics and stories, seemed like a place where people would be interested both in the novel itself, and in helping it become more mainstream, and this contest will really help my friend get his novel out there for people to see. His funds are limited, but his product is great, and so I am just doing everything I can to help him out.

Again, my intent was definitely not to offend and I didn't want to come across as being spammy. This seems like a really cool forum you guys have here. I do hope you will overlook my mistake and take a look at his novel anyway... he is an awesome guy, and awesome author, and I would really love to see him succeed.

KatA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KatA on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:03 am

Also, of course if this post is a problem I will understand if the mods delete it. Sorry again!

KatA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:11 pm

No one is gonna delete it, there are barely anyone left on this forum, let alone any mods.
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

Back to top Go down

Post  KatA on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:15 pm

Ah, well, I'm sorry to hear that (about the forum I mean).

KatA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alain1609 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:20 pm

greven wrote:No one is gonna delete it, there are barely anyone left on this forum, let alone any mods.

that's right grave, sorry i haven't done anything is just i'm not very good at creating threads and such, but i'll do my best.

@KatA- i don't thing anyone is going to vote for a novel they haven't read!!! Cool
alain1609

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KatA on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Actually, since the contest is for aspiring authors, what you are voting on is actually the title, cover, and summary. Smile You don't even have to give it a good rating if you don't want to. Wink Of course you don't have to vote at all if you don't want to, I'm just sayin'...

KatA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alain1609 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:28 pm

Surprised ok i'm curious!!!!
i'll go check it out!!!
alain1609

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KatA on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Very Happy Thanks!

KatA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elmoslayer on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:14 pm

I don't know, I leave for five minutes and look at all the drama that's gone on!

Is there some kind of link we can get so we can read/look at the book for ourselves? and don't worry about Greven, he's like our forum Chief and watchdog and we all worship him *bows down* Just kidding Greven! All equals here.

Maybe we should throw a party to get all our old forum buddies back and get some new ones? I'll provide cookies and cheese and pineapple sticks.

Elmoslayer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:19 pm

You are all equal before my boot that is what you are XD
All will love me and despair! Razz

But yeah a party sounds great I will bring the soda and the booze.
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  KatA on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Sure, I should have provided that in the first place, huh? lol

I get too excited and post without thinking. Wink

This is the website for the series: http://www.starchildtrilogy.com/
And then on the page for Rising Sign, you can read the first two chapters: http://www.starchildtrilogy.com/book1.php
Finally, you can "search inside" on amazon. Smile http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1442177004?ie=UTF8&tag=stachitri-20&link_code=wql&camp=212361&creative=380601

KatA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elmoslayer on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:55 pm

Thankyou very much! I will make sure to check it out when I have some time free.

Equal before your BOOT, are we Greven? Now now, watch out or you may hav ea mutiny on your hands!
Besides, that "all shall love me and despair" line only works if you look REALLY good with long blonde hair and a dress. Could you pull that look off?

Elmoslayer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:26 pm

Well I have kind of long hair at the moment and I am not afraid of drag should the oportunity arise, and if that is what it takes to use that line then I am ready for it XD
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  Elmoslayer on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:47 pm

Well, if you ever feel the need to use that line again, and therefore need to get out the bleach and the stilettos, then remember to post the photos here! I wouldn't miss it for the world. Laughing

Elmoslayer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alain1609 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:57 am

me neither, sounds like something to remember
alain1609

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:09 am

For somereason I really feel like dressing in drag now... Maybe monday when everyone but me is in school or at work. I am rouchly the same height and build as my sister after all... hmmmm. (plotting evil plans) Lol we will have to see Smile
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  alain1609 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:55 am

let's see Wink
alain1609

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down