Cowardly Lion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cowardly Lion

Post  Elmoslayer on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:48 pm

I have real trouble working up the courage to do things.

Even when I know that if I do it it'll be good for me, or if its something as simple as talking to somebody that I haven't met before or doing a piece of schoolwork that I know uses skills I'm not good at (eg. essays), I really cant seem to man up enough to do it. I just keep thinking of how it could all go wrong, and that I'll fail and screw it up.

I'm sitting here right now trying to work up the courage to do something I know will help me but I just can't do it, and I've been trying to do it all week.

How can I get myself to do it?! I need to grow a pair!

Elmoslayer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cowardly Lion

Post  Skyangel on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:39 pm

It's funny, I was talking to a 48yr old woman yesterday who is extremely well educated and intelligent and yet suffers from the same lack of confidence as you do in matters like this. I was just the same at your age. I hated using the phone even if it was just to phone up my aunt and thank her for my birthday card for example. Just because I felt I was expected to have a conversation with her and pictured myself drying up on the phone, giving her the impression that I was either totally stupid or rude. Most often though I found the reality was never as scary as my fears once I'd taken the plunge.The best way really to overcome this is just to plunge in and take it as it comes without thinking about it. The more you examine the possible outcomes and reactions the harder it becomes to make that move. Some things do require bit of aforethought before others if you need to have certain answers to hand, but the truth is the more often you do something the easier it gets and with that comes confidence.
I also think you are a good writer to be honest. I haven't read any posts by you on here that suggest you don't know how to put your point across clearly and effectively.
I used to be firm with myself in the end. I would make a set time to get this thing out of the way and then when the time was up, just do it. I'd give myself plenty of time to chew it over if I felt the situation was tricky (and definitely be in the room alone if it meant making a phone call!!lol) and then when the time was up say, 'oh shit, here goes!' and do it. The relief afterwards was always worth it, and with time it does get easier and easier.

Skyangel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elmoslayer on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Ohh I hate phoning people! Even friends! i have to do what you said and set myself a time eg. finish writing a post and then do it.

You have no idea how long I spend on some of these posts! I really ahve to try to make sure I don't ramble on too much..
Essays are the worst though. I got one back from a teacher that said "I'm very impressed! You somehow managed to circumnavigate the point of this essay with out going anywhere near it!"

Elmoslayer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyangel on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi Elmo, are you watching this space?? I'm a bit clueless as to how the forum works!!lol *blushes and hides under cushion* Whereabouts is that piece you wrote about your teacher?

Skyangel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alain1609 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:46 pm

hahahaha... i'm sorry, i can't help but laugh...
the reason why i don't like essays is because i'm lazy and prefer to sleep, work or be next to the computer...
even read a good is better than doing homework (i love reading books but i hate being interrupted when i do it, that's why i only read them on weekends at midnight, so i can finish it Razz )
alain1609

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top