Gays and lesbians in games/movies/music etc

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Gays and lesbians in games/movies/music etc

Post  greven on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:34 pm

In skate 2 for the 360 you create your own character.
The default character is a guy but you can change the gender to girl (DUH!), this will unlock an achivement called:

Gender-Bender

I think that is funny Very Happy
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

View user profile http://simongreve.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Joneko on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:13 pm

I don't think I Kissed A Girl is about lesbianism so much as experimentation. She even says "don't mean I'm in love tonight." I also don't think it was meant for young kids to listen to, though. Also, her music is generally very biting and sarcastic as far as I know. It's parody.

I never saw Queer as Folk, but when one of the guys from it was at AIDS Walk NY quite a few years back half my team ditched me to see if they could catch him up ahead xD

Personally, I like seeing surprise GLBT couples. Not like -- "Surprise! I'm gay!" but "Hey, we're a gay couple and that's just a side-plot!"

Has anyone ever seen the movie Songcatcher? There's an lesbian couple in it, and the outcome is horribly depressing, but at the same time, the couple itself is portrayed positively, they're just not accepted (they're in the Appalachians). I think it was the first time I saw a same-sex couple in a movie without that being the issue OF the movie, and I was so surprised.
Joneko
Admin

View user profile http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulrika on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:25 am

curlpop wrote:I kissed a girl is catchy.

Anyone for Queer as Folk?

Absolutely LOOOOVE Queer as folk!
Ulrika

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  curlpop on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:59 am

I watched all 5 seasons in one summer haha

I've seen

Shelter
C.R.A.Z.Y
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Mysterious Skin

Those are just some of my favorite Gay themed movies. They're all male based though, I don't think I've ever seen a lesbian based film except for "But I'm a cheerleader"
curlpop

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Knots/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:16 am

Does anyone know scissor sisters?
I believe some of them are gay. Anyway they make some pretty good songs all round Smile
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

Back to top Go down

Post  ReiDavidson on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:35 am

Sheltered <3 <3 <3 So good.
ReiDavidson
Admin

View user profile http://true2ourhearts.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulrika on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:12 pm

curlpop wrote:I watched all 5 seasons in one summer haha

I've seen

Shelter
C.R.A.Z.Y
Mysterious Skin

Those are just some of my favorite Gay themed movies. They're all male based though, I don't think I've ever seen a lesbian based film except for "But I'm a cheerleader"

I've just started the fifth season and I'm soo curious. Smile
From the rest of the films, I've only seen C.R.A.Z.Y, but I really like the atmosphere of the film and great music

However my favourite GLBT film is a Swedish film "Fucking Åmål" (in EnglandI think it has the title "Show me love"), it's about two teenage girls, one of them is a lesbian and a kind of outcast and fell in love in the other girl who is so popular in the school. Anyone has seen it?

And Greven, yes, two or three members from Scissor Sisters are gay
Ulrika

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Queer as Folk was a good show. My friend gave me season 1 for my birthday, and I watched the entire thing in about a week. Then I forgot about it until one day when I was browsing through the sale rack at HMV and found season 3. I must get around to buying season 4, because happy ending and all aside, I really want to know what happens to Hunter. confused

Anyway, I've noticed that in most TV shows/movies/books/etc nowadays, there's usually one "token" homosexual person/couple. I can't even begin to name every single gay side character that I've seen. Although, Jack Harkness (from a Doctor Who spin-off show I haven't seen called Torchwood), shows up on Doctor Who once in a while, and he's omnisexual. He even hits on an alien once. Razz Actually, it's kind of funny when he shows up, because my sister and I get all the jokes that are centered around him, while my poor Da is left in the dark.
Felicity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  curlpop on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:51 am

I've been making a mental note to watch Torchwood.

I want to see "Mala Educacion" with Gael Garcia Bernal.

Anybody watch Milk yet?
curlpop

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Knots/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:45 pm

Here is something bizare for you guys

This is part of an eppisode of Pokemon, the strange part is that James (evil guy) gets boobs halfway through, no explanation or anything.
Now even if you know pokemon you might not have seen this as it was cut out of the western version. I think it is... interesting if nothing else.
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:11 pm

The story behind that episode was that there was a beauty contest so Jessie and James try to go for the prize money. Since they each cross dress often, it was no big deal to put James in an inflatable body suit to double their chances. That's how he's able to make 'them' bigger at that one part where they're teasing Misty. James/Koijiro is my favorite Pokemon character. X3 So I would know. "OOOoooH!"
Fly Hue

View user profile http://user.drunkduck.com/Fly%20Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  Joneko on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:58 pm

I LOVE this episode. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's aware of it. You have to point at this and say "Hey guys? I don't think this show was meant for four-year-olds."
Joneko
Admin

View user profile http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:12 am

I have to be honest, I don't like a lot of games/shows etc with gays in- it just feels forced and unnatural.

But one game with potential gay romance I love is Jade Empire. It's so naturally done- the malexmale romance has the romancable NPC sort of going, "uh, wtf? Seriously? I'm in love with a guy? When did that happen? O_O" which is hilarious. xD And the femalexfemale romance is very smooth as well.
...And I just plain love the game, as well. The romance is just a bonus, which is how it should be.
Jase

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:26 am

I never got my hands on Jade empire, I wanted to but I never had the original XBOX
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  Elmoslayer on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:07 pm

curlpop wrote:I watched all 5 seasons in one summer haha

I've seen

Shelter
C.R.A.Z.Y
Mysterious Skin

My favourite lesbian themed films are:
Tipping the Velvet - It's set in victorian London, and is based on a book by Sarah Waters.
Aimee and Jaguar - This is a german film, set in World War 2. It's got a sad ending but I think it's well worth watching.
Better than Chocolate - Really funny and just a little bit silly Smile

And I just watched "But I'm a Cheerleader" ! I hadn't heard of that one before. That camp is scary!

Elmoslayer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:23 pm

Has anyone seen V for vendetta? It is not much of a chick flick but who knows, you might surprise me Razz

Well anyway, there is a kind of sad lesbian love tale in it that I find rather interesting.
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:07 pm

The camp But I'm a Cheerleader reminds me of the neighborhood in Edward Scissor hands.

The part with the letter was the best part for me. And not just because it was gay, just because it was the most inspirational. :'D
Fly Hue

View user profile http://user.drunkduck.com/Fly%20Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulrika on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:09 am

Elmoslayer wrote:

Aimee and Jaguar - This is a german film, set in World War 2. It's got a sad ending but I think it's well worth watching.

The film is really worth watching. It's about a Jewish woman and a German (pro-nazi) woman fell in love with each other during the WW2 and it's based on a true story in fact. Very sad, but shown from a different and interesting perspective.
Ulrika

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Elmoslayer wrote:Tipping the Velvet - It's set in victorian London, and is based on a book by Sarah Waters.

I've read the book, which was excellent. I'd heard it had been turned into a TV series, but I've never seen it. Is it any good?
Felicity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Have any of you seen Family Gay? its an eppisode of Family guy where Peter gets injected with "the gay gene".

Its fun as all hell, but creepy and wrong Very Happy
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  tara on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:30 pm

greven wrote:Has anyone seen V for vendetta? It is not much of a chick flick but who knows, you might surprise me Razz

PFFT. Of course I've seen that movie! I love Alan Moore. Remember we may be ladies, but we are also internet forum attendees which means a lot of us might be NERDS.

Anyway, yes, V for Vendetta is lovely. Well. You know. My version of lovely.
tara

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Good_Taste

Back to top Go down

Post  tara on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Felicity wrote:Anyway, I've noticed that in most TV shows/movies/books/etc nowadays, there's usually one "token" homosexual person/couple.

I'm curious about this. What makes a homosexual person/couple a token? Is it because there is only one of them? Or is it because the characters lack definition?
tara

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Good_Taste

Back to top Go down

Post  Emilyelizabethx on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:58 pm

tara wrote:
Felicity wrote:Anyway, I've noticed that in most TV shows/movies/books/etc nowadays, there's usually one "token" homosexual person/couple.

I'm curious about this. What makes a homosexual person/couple a token? Is it because there is only one of them? Or is it because the characters lack definition?

She means they've included a gay character just because they're gay, to appear liberal or because its popular.
Emilyelizabethx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Emilyelizabethx wrote:
tara wrote:

She means they've included a gay character just because they're gay, to appear liberal or because its popular.

Yup. Although a lot of these characters are also well-defined, but they're just... there. Interesting characters, but not really vital to the plot. Funnily enough, it's these characters that usually give my imagination the biggest jolt. xD I'd think of some examples but I've been up all night and my brain is malfunctioning. Razz
Felicity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:13 pm

I was waching a Danish TV series called Anna Phil, its about this police woman and her life, pretty realistic no insane murder CSI stuff, just controlling fan violence at football matches and stuff like that (if you are english you know it can be hell).
But case in point: Her "roommate" (or whatever its called) is a Gay guy.
He is actually pretty interesting as a character, he isnt used for comedic relief (at least not more than anyone else) and he is a genuin nice guy. He does have his fair share of "gay" problems, like having promblems finding dates and stuff like that, but they are never really presented as gay problems, they are more just presented as normal relationship problems than gay related problems.
For me he is the perfect example of a good gay character in the media, he is more a real guy who happens to be gay than a gay guy who happens to be a real guy. And then there is the fact that he is actually important to the plot for reasons other than his gayness.
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top