Axis Powers Hetlia

Go down

Axis Powers Hetlia

Post  Joneko on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:19 pm

Tell me someone else has discovered Axis Powers Hetalia and sees its pure win. There's something both ridiculous and innovative (and terrible!) about defining a country as a single stereotyped entity and then having them interact with each other on the stage of world history and politics.

Just for background, this started as a webcomic by Himaruya Hidekazu in 2003. It was made into a few tankoubon (graphic novels) and from there became so massively popular that they made it into an anime. So far I've seen two episodes, and I know that as soon as it comes out on DVD I'm buying it.

http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/hetaria/index.htm is the link to the original webcomic's page, though it's Japanese-language. There's also a Livejournal community for Hetalia where you can read it scanslated (would it be scanslated if it started on the web? Hm...).

I'll warn you though, it's very funny but at times very insulting! So if you favor North Italy try not to get TOO mad. Also, France is... ...well... ...he wants to "make alliances" with everybody.

IMO, one of the reasons this is such a fun idea is that, not only is it amusing, it's educational, but in a way that doesn't seem it. Since countries are personified, their 'actions' are too. I've learned a lot about Russian history by seeing something in the comic, feeling like I wanted to know more to fully appreciate it, then going off to read more about it. And Greece and Turkey man...I had no clue what their relations were like. Or that Greece had so many stray cats! [/geeking out]

At any rate, I highly recommend it. And if your country isn't already part of it, by all means, create! Myself, I'm going to try and pick a historical relation to draw when I'm done with my commission/gift arts -- maybe I'll start drawing up some stuff from the African regions, not much there and hogod is there a lot to know there -- and then to read some more on Lithuania and Poland. Because I already read up on Lithuania and Russia. And btw, Russia is one of the...saddest countries there is, and boy do they get that down.

...oh! And anybody here not represented? *blinks*
Joneko
Admin

View user profile http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Axis Powers Hetlia

Post  Emilyelizabethx on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:50 pm

You know I luffs it! I'm actually working on some fanart right now! <3
Emilyelizabethx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wyldflowa on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:15 am

Eeegads, I do love Hetalia. I adore England with his stuffiness and bad cooking~ *hearts* Though Sealand has gotten my love recently - I had no idea there was a country like that in the British Isles! Love love love it!
wyldflowa

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Rainbow_Carousel

Back to top Go down

Post  Joneko on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:14 pm

I have yet to figure out much about Sealand T^T Is he in the original sets of comics? I read somewhere that he was an omake sort.

I'm a bad person and not reading them in any sort of order. Rather, I decide "Homg, I want to know more about... ... ...Greece today!" and go searching. That, and I can't confine myself to the original comics, I have to go searching for more modern events.

But yes...Britain is adorable in his stuffiness. What surprises me is that a lot of the fans, either through their own creative prowess or the use of the characters already there, have really gotten a feel for the countries. I mean, I've been reading fanworks about Russia, and holy hell, they're wonderful. It's amazing how you can capture the feel of a country's history this way.

(I'm a geek. I'm still basking in the novelty of finding someone who did something relatively new, or at least, took it to a whole new level.)
Joneko
Admin

View user profile http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Emilyelizabethx on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:58 am

I love all of them! England, America, Russia, Sealand... but I'm totally loving Prussia at the mo!

I wish the creator did more countries, and not just European or Asian though.
Emilyelizabethx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down