What you want to hear when people comment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What you want to hear when people comment

Post  curlpop on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:48 am

I'm so horrible at giving comments, but I never only rate people and leave no parting words, so what are the kinds of things you want people to discuss after they see a piece of you art or read your comic (other than what they like about it)

Last edited by curlpop on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
curlpop

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Knots/index.php

Back to top Go down

Re: What you want to hear when people comment

Post  greven on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:50 am

curlpop wrote:I'm so horrible at giving comics, but I never only rate people and leave no parting words, so what are the kinds of things you want people to discuss after they see a piece of you art or read your comic (other than what they like about it)

I think you mean horrible at giving comments if not I am confused Razz

I want comments to be about the piece of "art" that I show, but more than just: "looks nice" is what I am looking for. I like it when the comment is personal, instead of pro: you missed two commas you noob.
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

View user profile http://simongreve.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  curlpop on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:15 pm

haha oops, sorry. Yes, I mean comments.

I agree. Although sometimes, spelling and all that is helpful, I can't be bothered with the people who just write something like: lol! or 'cute'

I like it when they ask questions about motivation and all that.
curlpop

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Knots/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Things they noticed, or things they're speculating on.
"Oh, I love the little stream in the background!" or "I wonder if they'll ever actually discuss that..." etc. People put tonnes of effort into their work, and it's always nice when people pick up on the background details mostly there to stop it being bland.
Personally, just "nice page" over and over would bother me, I'd rather hear something about what's going on, etc.
Jase

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:29 pm

I know I like to receive comments, so I try to give as many as I can, but I still avoid giving comments that aren't worth while. I spend sometime thinking of something to say, and then just try to write as much as I can, knowing that I like long comments.
Fly Hue

View user profile http://user.drunkduck.com/Fly%20Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  tara on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:51 pm

I try to give good comments, but sometimes I'm just exhausted and brain dead. D:
tara

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Good_Taste

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:34 pm

...Actually, right now I'd like any comments, because I don't think I have any readers. xDD Oh well.
Jase

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:31 pm

I've been wanting to comment on your story, but I haven't thought of anything worthwhile to say. Sometimes it takes quite a few pages before you get comments. Some people are lucky and get comments right away. But I have been keeping up on it. :)
Fly Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  ReiDavidson on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38 pm

I like to hear what people think about the characters or say why they think a character reacted a certain way.
ReiDavidson
Admin

View user profile http://true2ourhearts.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Oh yes!! I love the psychoanalysis!
Fly Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  Joneko on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:31 pm

I like to hear people react to the characters as if they're real people. It lets me know my writing is good enough to make them seem like real people.

When it's actual visible writing -- not like scripting for something or other -- I love comments on specific pieces that a person liked, or crit. Crit is great. Legit crit I mean not like... "This sux ur gay" stuff.

And on images... ...I'm such a pitiful thing with that, I love ANY comments. I take what I can get.

...I don't have much self-esteem in my arts ///
Joneko
Admin

View user profile http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:44 pm

After you hear it long enough you learn to hate it. At school the only thing I ever hear from my classmates are "That's good." I wish that they could come up with something more useful to say rather than filling my life with monotony. And then I just give them this really insincere "thanks..." so I seem like a jack ass. <3
Fly Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  FoxxinMinx on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:59 am

Joneko wrote:I like to hear people react to the characters as if they're real people. It lets me know my writing is good enough to make them seem like real people.

When it's actual visible writing -- not like scripting for something or other -- I love comments on specific pieces that a person liked, or crit. Crit is great. Legit crit I mean not like... "This sux ur gay" stuff.

And on images... ...I'm such a pitiful thing with that, I love ANY comments. I take what I can get.

...I don't have much self-esteem in my arts ///

i agree , if i get good comments i take what i can get caus they all make me feel good and i love them all

although it can be hard to find real indepth comments about your work somtimes and that can get frustrating , so i mean id say people want a balance , they want the " cute , lol " comments but then they also want the paragraph long comments so it ust depends on the peice
FoxxinMinx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Emilyelizabethx on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:52 am

I fall in love with most people's art. I really love seeing other people's work. Sometimes I hold back most of my comments, in case I scare them XD The more original someone is, the more into it I get. Normally I just leave stuff like 'its soooo cute!'. I guess that makes me sound like I'm not paying attention, but I am, I just don't know what to say without sounding over-enthusiastic! XD
Emilyelizabethx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Go for it, Emily. Be wild and free. Especially since you comment on my stuff. XDDD [/personal agenda]
Fly Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:33 pm

I have to say that it's easier to make meaningful comments when you have a complete section of work (like a whole chapter) not just a page. Actually, when I read something it's incredibly easy to be nitpicky on an incomplete work but hard to be truely helpful in comments until part of the storyarc has been played out. Also, it happens sometimes that story elements don't make sense until way later. For me, comments are also a way to say "I want to see more". If I were totally bored with a comic, I wouldn't bother. That actually happened to me with a DD comic (not anyone's here). The characters were just "dancing around" (my words) each other and I lost interest. I don't think there was even a semblance of a story. Anyways, I just finished chapter 1 of Rei's comic and it's intreging. They're trapped in a cave, with vines all around and I don't know what's gonna happen (don't tell me yet). Great cliffhanger stuff. I'm gonna read some more this week. I also checked out Jase's comic and I love the art. His comics just gettin started and he promises action, action, action. It's worth checkin out for the art alone but it sounds like he's got the makings of an epic story so i'm sittin tight. *patiently waits for updates* cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Avie on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:48 am

Personally, I love getting any kind of comment (even if it's just ratings). It gives me the satisfaction of knowing that someone is reading my work. It's good enough for me.
For some extra interactions within comments, I sometimes ask my readers little "fun" questions in my Author's Comments. I know how troubling it can be to properly comment individuals ..so with my little questions..I often see a pattern of readers just answering those.
Avie

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Sandstorm/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Joneko on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Avie wrote:Personally, I love getting any kind of comment (even if it's just ratings). It gives me the satisfaction of knowing that someone is reading my work. It's good enough for me.
For some extra interactions within comments, I sometimes ask my readers little "fun" questions in my Author's Comments. I know how troubling it can be to properly comment individuals ..so with my little questions..I often see a pattern of readers just answering those.

...that's a really good idea, actually.

I'm learning that just knowing someone is out there reading (or looking) makes me happy XD So any sign that someone noticed my work is good.
Joneko
Admin

View user profile http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Avie on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:19 am

Joneko wrote:
Avie wrote:Personally, I love getting any kind of comment (even if it's just ratings). It gives me the satisfaction of knowing that someone is reading my work. It's good enough for me.

...that's a really good idea, actually.

I'm learning that just knowing someone is out there reading (or looking) makes me happy XD So any sign that someone noticed my work is good.

Yes exactly ! Any glance or comment has value.
Avie

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Sandstorm/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulrika on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:33 am

yeah, I agree with Avie. Any kind of comment is valuable and every one makes my happy
Ulrika

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:33 pm

If you're a commenter like me, keep in mind that when reading someone's work, lots of things pop into mind but what do you comment on that will fit in that tiny little box. Usually, nobody wants to read your long winded critique; they want to hear the sassy comment or the quick artistic in-the-know praise. Also, the problem with webcomics (something I don't like) is that you can't scroll back to the beginning quickly. You have to click on page by page and wait for it to upload. And i totally understand people's reasons for not updating regularly but sometimes when someone updates i have to look back to refresh my memory. And I want the writer to know, yes, i see that you've updated and i'm glad you're back cuz i've missed this story so i post maybe not the most meaningful comment but just something until i can put the pieces of the story back together for me. I hope that made sense? No or have you fallen asleep from my long windedness? Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  alain1609 on Fri May 29, 2009 5:53 pm

bryterlayter wrote:If you're a commenter like me, keep in mind that when reading someone's work, lots of things pop into mind but what do you comment on that will fit in that tiny little box. Usually, nobody wants to read your long winded critique; they want to hear the sassy comment or the quick artistic in-the-know praise. Also, the problem with webcomics (something I don't like) is that you can't scroll back to the beginning quickly. You have to click on page by page and wait for it to upload. And i totally understand people's reasons for not updating regularly but sometimes when someone updates i have to look back to refresh my memory. And I want the writer to know, yes, i see that you've updated and i'm glad you're back cuz i've missed this story so i post maybe not the most meaningful comment but just something until i can put the pieces of the story back together for me. I hope that made sense? No or have you fallen asleep from my long windedness? Sleep

don't say that because i do the exact same thing.
(quote="bryterlater") Arrow to the archives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alain1609

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top