I read me some Manga!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I read me some Manga!

Post  greven on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:21 pm

Sooo yeah... I have been doing nothing in here for a few days, and I have written NADA for that same time period. BUT! there is a reason for it.

You see: I was getting tired of the danish (I live in Denmark, google it bitches!) Manga release delay. I read manga like all hell but I have never read beyond that of witch have been released in Denmark, sort of a personal rule of sorts. But getting more into manga on the web this has really set me back a great deal as I have had to dodge spoilers left and right.

So yesterday I made a choise: No more waiting for danish manga.

I went online and found a place where I could read my fav manga for free (What a devil I am) and I went ahead and read my way through all the content that hadnt made it to denmark (did you google it?).

Turned out it was quite a lot, and that means that I read One Piece and Naruto pretty much all the time till now. Its 7 pm now, and it was about 5pm when I started yesterday, and DAMN! did I read a lot of Manga. Like I said I read up on Naruto and OP and here is the final count, this is chapters NOT pages (each chapter is roughly 17 pages)

One piece: 125 chapters
Naruto: 176 chapters

I am finally done, no more dodging spoilers! HELL YEAH!

Now my only problem is that I want to read more manga, but I dont know any good manga. So do you guys have any good manga you can recommend? Please dont mention Neon genesis, I read some of it and I dont like it.
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

View user profile http://simongreve.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: I read me some Manga!

Post  ReiDavidson on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Uzumaki
ReiDavidson
Admin

View user profile http://true2ourhearts.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:44 am

GOD! I have read two chapters of Uzumaki, I have never read anything that creepy before.
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:48 am

My favourite series are Bizenghast (by an American author, but it's good), Petshop of Horrors, Saiyuki and a oneshot called Darkside Blues if you can find it. I'm also fond of the .hack series. Embarassed

And anything by Mitsukazu Mihara is great. DOLL would probably be easiest to find if you'll looking for something by her. :3
Felicity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReiDavidson on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:04 am

greven wrote:GOD! I have read two chapters of Uzumaki, I have never read anything that creepy before.
I KNOW. I've read it twice and was afraid to sleep both times.
ReiDavidson
Admin

View user profile http://true2ourhearts.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:05 am

Heh, I like how my first post here talks about Naruto and One piece, two adventure mangas, and you decide to give hell to that and recomends a freaky creepy story about spirals, and a ballet love story Laughing

I am not saying that they are not good, they are just not exactly what I was looking for Razz
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  tara on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:03 am

HEYOOOOH.

I am in love with One Piece, one of my FAVOURITE mangas. So kudos to you for reading it. I also really like Inu Yasha by Rumiko Takahashi, you may enjoy that one.
tara

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Good_Taste

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am

I have been considering to start reading Inu Yasha again, I read the first volume but never get to reading more, mostly because I felt it was too much like Ranma 1/2 (sane author I believe) and I think that one got very stale after a while, reading Inu yasha again it doesnt seem like the same things happens here though. So I guess I will read it Smile
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  tara on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:33 am

YEAH, I see what you mean, the stubborn male, the girl ... DO THEY LIKE EACH OTHER? DON'T THEY? I like Inu Yasha better, though. I enjoy the history and the mystery and the characters (and the monsters.) Don't like the anime, though.

There is this other manga I remember reallllly liking was Shaman King, but apparently it ended stupidly. I liked Trigun. Yu Yu Hakusho. Full Metal Alchemist. Slayers. Sorcerer Hunters. All kind of adventurey?

But honestly I haven't been extremely into manga the past few years as I was as a teenager. The only ones I read now are One Piece and Yotsuba&! (definitely not what you are looking for but so, so good) so my choices might be a little old.
tara

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:31 am

Shaman king is VERY good, but it ended right before the final battles were comming so that kind of sucked, BUT they are doing a reprint of the story now and they are not stopping where the original print did, now they are actually going to finish the story Very Happy
IT WILL BE GOOD!

Trigun and Full Metal alchemist are both really good... and I have already read them Very Happy

I will check out the other 3 though as well as Yotsuba&! whatever that is Very Happy
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  tara on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:57 pm

If I think of any more I'll let you know!

Yotsuba&! is about a little girl with green hair who has no idea how the world works. She goes through the day experiencing normal boring things with an adorable wide-eyed innocence. That's it. Really. Yet it's one of my favourite comics oooof alllll timmmmeeee. (Oooeeeeoo oo).
tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Hey, Saiyuki's action-adventure! It's about four guys that are travelling across China to find out why all the demons in the country have gone crazy. Really funny, really sad and really awesome.

There's also a sci-fi manga called Planet Blood, where a guy crash-lands on an unknown planet. I haven't read it in ages, but I remember it being good.

Also, not really action-adventure, but also really good, is Monster. It's about a doctor who has a choice between saving a rich, important person and a little boy. He saves the little boy, but years and years later, the little boy becomes a murderer, and then he's being framed for murder, and there's a little boy and an old guy and about 45 other Important Characters. It has a really intricate plot, but it's good. Very good.

Oh, and one of my friends keeps on telling me to read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I haven't a clue what it's about, but according to him, it's the best manga ever written, and he talks about it all the time, so it must be good.
Felicity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:10 pm

You don't like Neon Genesis?? I don't understand your type of people!
Fly Hue

View user profile http://user.drunkduck.com/Fly%20Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  Emilyelizabethx on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:03 am

Uzumaki made me soooo sick. I can never look at a snail the same way again. Sad

I like anything by Junko Mizuno. I think she's awesome.
Emilyelizabethx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shia on Sat May 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Ahhh I have so many recommendations. I own literally hundreds of manga; I've been buying for about 5 years. xD

I recommend:
Godchild. It's vaaaguely yaoi, and really awesome and dark. It's set in the Victorian era and the main character is a 17 year old named Cain. Just read it. I recommend it so badly.
Azumanga Daioh is great to read if you want something silly to cheer you up. xD Just about high school antics. It's hilarious and adorable. It's by the same person who did Yotsuba&!, which Tara recommended.
Angel Sanctuary is by the same lady who did Godchild. It's really fascinating because it deals a lot with religion, and the main character is incestuous with his sister.
After School Nightmare is a really good horror which was actually just completed recently. It's reeally good. The main character is half boy, half girl, which doesn't make sense until the end... ahem.
Hana Kimi is a really good light manga to read. It's sweet and funny. There are over 20 volumes and I haven't finished it yet... I only own about the first 12.
Petshop of Horrors is another good dark manga. Umm, basically there's this mysterious Chinese man named Count D (though actually his grandfather is the count...) who owns a pet shop in Chinatown in Los Angeles. A detective is suspicious of him because strange things seem to happen to people who purchase animals from him, not to mention the animals are very strange (unicorns? three headed dragons? cats who look like girls?). I really recommend this.
Death Note! A really good detective manga that's gotten pretty popular.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll recommend more later. Good luck~
shia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sat May 09, 2009 5:39 pm

I think I am going to start reading Angel Sanctuary, if you wonder why then take a trip to the play room and check out the Devils advokat threads Smile Razz
and Godchild sounds cool too Smile
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  shia on Sun May 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Alrighty! Good luck reading! Angel Sanctuary is pretty long. I haven't finished it yet, ha. xD
I reeeaaally recommend Godchild, so READ IT!
shia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sun May 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Didnt you read the first post? Long mangas are no problem for me afro
But I shall start with God Child as you wish Smile
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  shia on Sun May 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Thank you, sir. Very Happy You will like it. You WILL, I say!

The first post? Oh yeah, I read it... probably.
shia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sun May 10, 2009 6:15 pm

I just read the first 3 chapters of God Child, DAMN! it is good!
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  shia on Sun May 10, 2009 6:18 pm

I KNOW!
I read the first few pages and was like.... I have got to buy this.
So I own all 8 now. =o

Good luck reading more! Heh heh heh, I'm corrupting you to be more and more addicted...
shia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lunaris on Sun May 31, 2009 4:13 am

Someone say manga? Shocked

My favorite would have to be Kare Kano no Jijou (Kare Kano, His and Her Circumstances).

Following up would be...Suzuka, Battle Angel Alita (GUNNM), Gunsmith Cats, Akira, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Chobits.

Those last few are not necessarily in order.

DearS, Elfen Lied, and Tokyo Boys and Girls are also all good.

And Strawberry Panic.

And...I can't believe I didn't see this one...Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu/The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I don't know how many of them (if any) are available in English or not...but what I've managed to grab myself is good.

And the anime is wicked. Cool
Lunaris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alain1609 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:54 pm

my favorite manga's are:
1. mahou sensei negima!
2. nana
3. claymore
4. naruto
5. sasameki koto
6. Girl Friends
7. Vampire Knight
8. Gakuen Alice
9. AI WO UTAU YORI ORE NI OBORERO!
10. hourou musuko
11. fruits basket
12. special A
13. Prince of Tennis, etc. lol!
THIS ONES ARE THE ONES I CANNOT MISS even for a day, but there are lots of them like:
1/2 ouji, billion princes, aoi hana, gokujou seitokay(but i love the anime more), after school nightmare, family ccompo, mai-hime, mai-otome, the prince of tennis 2(shin tennis no ojisama), full metal panic (but i love the anime more), etc.
alain1609

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top