What you want to see less of, what you want to see more of.

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What you want to see less of, what you want to see more of.

Post  greven on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:31 am

One thing that is really anoying me is comics where it all starts off with girl A meating girl B, and suddently they are like: I like her but I am not a lesbian, am I?

I am not saying these comics cant be good, it is just sooooo lame that it happens every freaking time.
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

View user profile http://simongreve.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:50 pm

My beginning is totally not like that. It's all.... It's been 3 BILLION years since we broke up over you're failed revolution and I'm still bitter about it only now I'm kind of hot for you all over again. Oh Noes!

Yes.
Fly Hue

View user profile http://user.drunkduck.com/Fly%20Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:09 pm

greven wrote:One thing that is really anoying me is comics where it all starts off with girl A meating girl B, and suddently they are like: I like her but I am not a lesbian, am I?

I am not saying these comics cant be good, it is just sooooo lame that it happens every freaking time.
Yeah, I haven't even read that many lesbian comics/stories, and I'm already starting to see the trend... like with this shoujo ai manga I was reading the other day. There's 3 VOLUMES of denial before something actually happens.

I'd like to see more stories take place in the past. (Or maybe that's just my love of the late 1800's talking Embarassed) There's tons of heterosexual romances set in the Victorian era, where are the homosexual ones? The only problem is the homophobic society at the time, but... Fine gentlemen! Ladies in elegant gowns! Balls! Carriage rides! *swoons*

I also have to agree with the inter-racial relationships comment.
Felicity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:41 pm

http://www.rinkworks.com/fnovel/

I thought that this was highly relevant.

My favorite personal question-answer combination was #4: Is your story about a young character who comes of age, gains great power, and defeats the supreme badguy?
Older than TIME ITSELF, is humiliated beyond belief, and falls in love with the "supreme bad guy". :D

All that, and it's just a nice thing to appreciate since most of us are writers in someway or another.
Fly Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:09 am

Lol that was an awesome list and honestly I didnt answer yes to a single one.

I did have one story going a while back where it was about some guy becomming of age and defeating the supreme etc etc. But I figured out how stupid that was myself
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

Back to top Go down

Post  curlpop on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:30 am

Haha I love that list. Have you guys done the mary sue one? http://ponylandpress.nfshost.com/ms-test.html

I want to see a comic where everyone isn't Japanese. I also want to see characters who don't hate their families or their families don't hate them because they're gay, and they're not extremely rich. Interracial couples, more urban settings, cut throat characters who you feel like hating sometimes, omnisexuals (cause man, I love those.) I want to see more LGBT characters who aren't only white and asian. I've got Jewish, Mexican and Peruvian people in mine while nekomccomicmaker has a yojihosoru and doesn't know anything about Japan (OH YEAH, DID I MENTION THE CHARACTERS COMPLETELY WHITE?) Don't get the wrong idea, I have nothing against Japan or Characters who are from there, I mean sure, if your story is based in Osaka, you wont have someone named Amberly, but whats the point if I can't even tell they're from Japan? They look like everyone else. OKAY GUYS I HAVE A CONFESSION. http://theukeprince.smackjeeves.com/comics/163161/cover-page-of-doooooooooooom/ (maybe 18+) That comic embodies everything I can't stand about the internet. HONESTLY? REALLY? I'm sorry if any of you are fans of that particular comic, but man. I really really hate it.

You know, I try to create the types of comics I want to read, but it's hard when you've got no reference. People on comic hosting sites like smackjeeves or drunkduck (but especially SJ) don't want to read comics unless there's fucking in the first few pages. I'm so sick of neko uke boy prostitutes who have no facet of personality except the fact that they meow and cry everytime they have a sexual encounter. ( A CAT ISNT A PERSONALITY TRAIT. TRUFAX.) Girls with 50 pounds of breast don't cut it for me, you know what I'm talking about. The girls who are only there for sexual reasons. I've got a character who has pretty big boobs, but she also has a personality. She has weaknesses and there will be times my audience will hate her. If you want a realistic character, you're doing something wrong if they are ALWAYS amazing and perfect and awesome. (I sound like an ass right now, but goshdarnit, this makes me mad haha) I can agree with almost everyone. Aren't you guys tired of OC's who have boyfriends or girlfriends and just automatically dump them for someone else without feeling anything? OR WHEN EVERYONE WANTS TO RAPE YOUR CHARACTER CAUSE (S)HE IS SO IRRESISTIBLE?
curlpop

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Knots/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Oh my God. I like... read the first ten pages just to see what you were talking about. I'm actually pretty sure there's even worse stuff out there, though I did find the title pretty amusing. When you're in middle school and don't know any better, it's forgivable to use words like seme/uke, but I can't help feeling embarrassed for people when that particular jargon pops up.
I've noticed that most of the manga-style stories -at least the ones I run into- are the ones that do BL. But I think we mostly have real manga artists to blame for starting the whole "having Japanese names and living in Japan but not resembling the race at all" phenomenon. What annoys me though is when they're not even in a Japanese type setting but they still have Japanese names.

I failed the Mary-Sue test. X) But I'm writing an epic, it needs to be over-the-top and archetypal (I noticed that many of the checks had dealt with archetypes or otherwise symbolic stuffs). Just so, there were a bunch of deliciously funny cliches. Nice link.
Fly Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:34 am

tara wrote:Want:
-Girls who want to be boys (or girls who want to be between boy and girl). I see more mtf than ftm, is all! Although that could be me looking in the wrong places.
That's just life. There ARE more MtFs! Far, far more. I mean, for one thing, the MtF realignment is a lot less... off-putting than the FtM. For another, a female who feels they are inwardly male can be much more themselves and still be accepted by society as just being a tomboy. I've known a few MtFs (mostly online, one in person) but the only other "FtM" had actually decided against any sort of realignment, because she'd learned to "accept and appreciate her femaninity". She still never wore makeup or skirts, and just acted- well, like a man. For a MtF, they can't do that- society demands a man be a man, not something "in between", unlike a woman. (Seems we've sort of screwed the gender equality, eh? xD)

Anyway, I think (hope) my comic actually fails to fall into any of the un-want lists, and manages to fall into the want lists in many cases. (Epic story, no cliches, mixed race, not in Japan, unique and epic story where sexuality's just a part instead of the point, etc.)

Personally, I want more comics where, as I said- sexuality is a part of the comic, not the point. I also want gay men who act like MEN, but are believable.

Don't wants- unrealistic characters falling in love. I'm sorry, but this grumpy guy who's raised by homophobes isn't going to fall in love with a cute boy and not go through ANY sort of having to work out that he's gay.
Also don't want- EVERYONE BEING GAY. I hate this. Hate hate hate. For example- in Wires, every teen/young adult seems to be gay. The author even said he planned a story where the only not-openly gay male had a relationship with the gay man-slut. Argh. Compared with Khaos, where the GBLT community is pulled together by- well, by gaydar I guess, but there are many other (straight) students in the school, and the GBLT group have both shared and differing interests, etc. That feels much more realistic, whilst allowing the artist to still only really follow the GBLT people.

(Oh, and my Mary Sue score was -17. xD)
Jase

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tara on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:21 am

That's true, Jase! But I can still want to see more of it, I think. MAYBE.

Also, I looked at that 'example of bad comic' you posted, Curlpop, uke prince? And it made me think of another one. It's something I'm working on, too, and I haven't perfected it yet myself but: ADULTS THAT LOOK LIKE TEENAGERS. Seriously. I thought that girl in that comic was the main character's SISTER yet it turns out she's his MOTHER?

But you see it a lot in comics, people that are supposed to be adults, who have teenage children ... and they look not much older than their child. Makes me go aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaAaaaahhhhuuuu.
tara

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Good_Taste

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 am

This makes me think of Anime Old Guys. The only way you know they are old is because they are bald, have a mustache, and have one wrinkle under each eye and on their smile line. :/ Other than that, they look exactly like all the other teenage girls.
Fly Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulrika on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:49 pm

tara wrote: It's something I'm working on, too, and I haven't perfected it yet myself but: ADULTS THAT LOOK LIKE TEENAGERS. Seriously. I thought that girl in that comic was the main character's SISTER yet it turns out she's his MOTHER?

But you see it a lot in comics, people that are supposed to be adults, who have teenage children ... and they look not much older than their child. Makes me go aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaAaaaahhhhuuuu.

heh, I do have a problem with drawing the older people look older. Just don't know how to improve it, but I'm hopelessly trying too.

As for the comics, I would really like to read one with some serious stuff. Like, it's not all beautiful all the time, especially when one gets his/her love. Somehow I rarely encounter a comic that would deal with serious problems like sickness for example. Also I would really like to read some comic about insanity. I know, I have creepy wishes when it comes to reading, watching. But the more it touches you emotionally, the better I think. Of course without hardcore extremes Wink
Ulrika

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:35 pm

My first attempt at a story was about a boy with xeroderma pygmentosum, that and he was ugly, short, geeky, a momma's boy, etc...
And he falls in love with his exact opposite: beautiful, tall, graceful, confident hooligan. It wasn't that bad of a story, I just had a hard time filling in the gaps in the plot line. :/ I'd really like to give it another shot one day.

So that would be sickness.

And I would love to do some stuff with mental illness, it's stuff I've been brainstorming on for years now but have never been able to come up with a good story for. Only like, short scenes, you know how that works, right? I know what you mean though, that would make a neat story, it's just hard to write about. Maybe if we get lucky some of us could collaborate on that.
Fly Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  Joneko on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:43 pm

I have a first-hand perspective of some serious anxiety disorder effects, and had been toying with the idea of that whole what-is-reality mental illness concept for a while in a few different ways and workings, but I'd been told it had been done to death by a few different people and...well, put it in the folder of ideas I wasn't using.
Joneko
Admin

View user profile http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulrika on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:15 am

Joneko wrote:I have a first-hand perspective of some serious anxiety disorder effects, and had been toying with the idea of that whole what-is-reality mental illness concept for a while in a few different ways and workings, but I'd been told it had been done to death by a few different people and...well, put it in the folder of ideas I wasn't using.

oh, it's too bad you resigned from making a story on that. And wonder why have you been told that it was already done to death, i've never run into any of such comics.
Ulrika

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tara on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:21 am

I've seen quite a few 'mentally ill' comics, but none that got very far, and none that really showed it without glorifying it, so maybe give it a try!
tara

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Good_Taste

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:03 am

I've never seen any either - but I'd certainly be interested in reading one. Especially since you probably have a more realistic view of such illnesses.

That's another thing I want to see less of. People writing stories without doing research (although I don't see it that often, because I tend to avoid fiction/webcomics where people obviously haven't done research). Search the web. Go to the library. It's not that hard. Razz

Although a beef I have with my local library is that they have the best reference section you've ever seen, but you can't sign out most books from the reference section. You either have to photocopy them at 5 cents a page (which can get pretty expensive) or copy everything out by hand. Sad
Felicity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:54 am

What do you mean "without doing research?" any writer will always make mistakes. I did research on guns at a time where I was writing a story about some hitmen, but I still ran into a lot of mistakes. The problem is that unless you have actually tried it you cant write about it perfectly, not without someone who has tried it can call you out on it. I may be able to do some research on our galaxy, but an astoromisist (?) would still be able to call me out on at least a couple of mistakes.
greven

Back to top Go down

Post  Joneko on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:47 am

Hm. If it's something that hasn't been done to death maybe I will take a whack at it. Thanks loves, I'll be reconsidering.
Joneko
Admin

View user profile http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Hue on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Regardless, doing research > no research. Of course personal experience is great as well, but it means a lot to see that a writer has made an effort to get to know their subject and portray it correctly. It show care and professionalism.
Fly Hue

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 am

greven wrote:What do you mean "without doing research?" any writer will always make mistakes. I did research on guns at a time where I was writing a story about some hitmen, but I still ran into a lot of mistakes. The problem is that unless you have actually tried it you cant write about it perfectly, not without someone who has tried it can call you out on it. I may be able to do some research on our galaxy, but an astoromisist (?) would still be able to call me out on at least a couple of mistakes.
Fly Hue hit the nail on the head.

I'm not saying that everything has to be perfect (because that's really hard unless you work in the field you're setting your story in) but when they haven't done any research at all. Maybe that's not that common in webcomics. It is in stories. I've read stories set in, say, a hospital, and it's so obvious that they're done nothing to try to find out how hospitals run.

At least a little research gets rid of the most obvious mistakes.
Felicity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum