manicpanic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

manicpanic

Post  Joneko on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:08 pm

Ok heregoes. Sorry to dump on you all.

I have either an anxiety or mood disorder, part of which involves serious manic episodes. I was on medication for a few years, but that medication has stopped working, which is apparently common, and I did take the initiative of seeing someone at the uni to find out what to do. I'm scheduling a doctor's appointment tomorrow to either change the medication or be referred to someone else who can.

My problem is that, in the meantime, I'm finding it nearly impossible to function. I either can't sleep, or I'm insanely tired at random points during the day, sometimes leading to me falling asleep on the couch or at the table while I'm working. I can't focus on much of anything, to the point that it's disrupting my schoolwork. It isn't a matter of "Ok, I'm going to sit down ad do this paper and...now I'm bored and...oh, shiny object!" -- that's actually just me on a normal day. It's a matter of, "I desperately want to do this, I'm interested in it, and I'm sitting down, and I'm thinking through a loud jumbled blur and nothing's clear or happening."

My parents, this morning... ....afternoon, woke me up to have a sit-down intervention of sorts, to let me know that I was getting really bad, that I was talking nonstop, that I was leaving things everywhere and completely lacking any ability to keep track of myself, and they let me know that I needed to get help. I already told them that I was already doing that, and they said they knew, they just wanted me to know that they know, they noticed, and that they were supportive. Which is sweet in theory but it hurt like hell to hear when I already knew it you know?

So my biggest problem right now is, while I'm in medication limbo, does anyone have any suggestions to deal with the symptoms? I need to be able to organize my thoughts, to not leave the stove on for an hour and a half without even remembering I turned it on (my chores at home are making dinner, mostly), to not lose track of time in general, to function...in general. Any hints, even small suggestions, are appreciated. I'm usually a very scattered person but I'm not usually like this.
Joneko
Admin

View user profile http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: manicpanic

Post  ReiDavidson on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:46 pm

I've yet to ever find a way to get rid of a manic episode. I fortunately haven't had one since NY so I'm on a normal to low low period of my bi-polarism
ReiDavidson
Admin

View user profile http://true2ourhearts.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:49 pm

I dont have any experience myself and when I asked one of my friends he had a piece of advice, in his words:
She needs to get laid.

Hope that helped Razz
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

View user profile http://simongreve.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Emilyelizabethx on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Aww, I know exactly how you feel! I went through one of those and it was really disruptive and frustrating. I generally found getting up earlier and doing exercise, or having a busy day helps. I was also in between meds when I went through the same thing, and I found getting into a daily routine (getting up, going for a run and then doing lots of activities) helped me. It provided a structure. Its hard at first, but slowly you'll get into it. Also creative output generally helps. The thing is to not force yourself to do something but provide lots of things that can be doing instead, if that makes any sense XD *hugs*
If you wanna chat about anything, like meds and stuff, I can help. But don't worry, this time will pass. Do you think it might be a withdrawal symptom? I had the same thing when I came off my liquid meds, before I went into pill meds.
Emilyelizabethx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joneko on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks so much Em. It's more that the meds I'm on now have completely stopped working, so I might as well not be on any medication at all while I get on some new ones that work. I really should get myself on some kind of regular routine -- I've considered it in the past but now, with these current problems, it seems more necessary than just something to think about. Had you not suggested it I probably wouldn't even have thought of it again!
Joneko
Admin

View user profile http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:44 am

I've been through something similar, but not the same. I'm going to advise you to do things I DIDN'T do.

Firstly, as has been mentioned- regular schedule. Yes yes yes yes yes. It doesn't matter how hard it is- FORCE yourself to do it. Go to bed at a certain time- if it helps, look into ways to help yourself sleep. (Warm baths scented with lavender and a warm milky drink seem to be the most commonly advised things.) Avoid doing anything that'll get your brain active in the last hour or too before bed, as well. I always found that watching films I'd seen several times and knew very well worked well for me.
Get up at a set time. Even if you tossed and turned for most of the night- force yourself to get up. That tiredness will help you fall asleep the next night, and in time your body will adjust.
Eat at the same times of day, if you can. Three to four meals, every day at the same time. Make sure they're balanced and healthy as far as possible; if necessary, take multivitamins and/or herbal suppliments.
Exercise. I'm not going to tell you to go all-out with an active lifestyle- that's not for everyone. But go for a brisk walk, or if you can handle it a jog, every day. Which ties in with my next point-
Go outside every day, around the middle of the day. If it's raining, take an umbrella; if it's very hot where you are, lotion up. Protect yourself from the weather, but unless said weather's REALLY bad, be out in the daylight. It's amazing how much being outside in the lightest time of day can help.

Above all, don't think you're alone. Try not to fret and stress. Yes, it's important you stick to this daily routine, even if it's hard; but otherwise, try not to let things get to you unless they are important. If something bothers you, change it. If you can't change it, accept it and move on.

Let us know how things go.
Jase

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Emilyelizabethx on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:46 am

Jase, you brought up something I forgot.
Yeah, you really do need to get as much fresh air and sunlight as possible. Even if you don't feel like going out, just say to yourself, 'Ok, I'm only going to the cornershop' and then build it up each day.
Also, exercize really helps, the best times are when you first get up. Even if you don't like exercize, just do a few simple stretches or something. You'll be surprised how much it works.
I would also advise these strategies for people with depression. As a sufferer myself, I realized that the best thing to cure it was by doing these strategies, even better than medication. Very Happy
Emilyelizabethx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 pm

Again, I see I'm a little late on this post but still wanted to offer some advice. Just some background on me, I have suffered from depression during two periods in my life. The first time I had no idea what was happening until i was in it. The second time I could feel it taking over, didn't want it to happen but couldn't pull myself out of it. Both time i took meds and they helped me very much. I currently dont need the meds anymore. I know depression isn't exactly the same things as bi-polarism but some things are common. Is it possible to up the dosage of the meds you are currently taking? It might help. The routine idea sounded like excellent advice. What caught my attention in your post was that you get tired at periods of the day and can't focus to save your life. That happened to me. For me, my second episode of depression happened near the beginning of a new semester of college. I literally couldn't read the book. I could not focus. I kept trying and the words made no sense. I decided the best thing for me to do for the sake of my self and my academic career was to withdraw from all my classes and sit out the semester. I don't know if this can be an option for you but sometimes we have to simplify our life, get better, and then return. If i had not have done this i would have had four big fat F's because as much as i wanted to, I could not do the work. A less demanding day might allow you to establish a normal routine, maybe even sleep when your body needs to. Otherwise, it might be a great struggle for you at least until you find meds that work. Hope you can find something that works for you! sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum