Need A Lesbian Movie Fix? And Possibly Others?

Go down

Need A Lesbian Movie Fix? And Possibly Others? Empty Need A Lesbian Movie Fix? And Possibly Others?

Post  eSilva on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:09 am

ALRIGHTY!

So I've realized that I am the only person I know who knows more then 20 lesbian films. (wether they be successful or not)

I thought I'd post a list of some of the ones I thought are recommendable!

so here goes;

1."The World Unseen"
2."I can't think Straight" (first and second film mentioned star the same actresses and are products of the same director.writer)
3."Imagine me & you" (most known but I still think it should be recommended)
4."But I'm a Cheerleader" (Loved it)
5."My summer of Love" (I never really understood it- anyone who's seen it, talk to me!)
6."Loving Annabelle"
7."Nina's Heavenly Delights" (By far my favorite indie/bollywood-esc film)
8."Personal Best"
9."Dessert Hearts"
10."Heavenly Creatures" (WOW- was this one...wow...spooky)
11."Lost and Delirious" (very touching)
12."Kissing Jessica Stein"
13."Saving Face" (such a cute chinese american story)
14."D.E.B.S" (there are two versions. I recommend both but the one with Jordana Brewster is just *drools*)

That's just to name a few!

I can think of a few more but those are the ones I remembered off the top of my head!

As for Gay male films, I don't know any except for

"Brokeback Mountain"

and the one that starred Rob Pattinson of Twilight. I should look into this coz I'm sure I've seen more.

As for Trans films;

"Boys Don't Cry; Brandon Tina Story"
"TransAmerica"

There are also Documentaries out there but my main focus is Lesbian Love centered films.

If anyone is too lazy to look any of these films up I would be more then happy to get some info on the films for you. Both good and bad reviews. It's better to get both sides of a story line! heh.

*****ATTENTION******

Many of these films are very hard to come by and so I have to say that I do not suggest file sharing even if it's easier. Please try and find the actual films!! It helps out those who made them and worked so hard for their creations! Also; This site does not condone the illegal download of copyrighted works! (to get the liability stuff out of the way of course). DO NOT ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD ANY OF THESE MOVIES! Protect yourself and others!
eSilva
eSilva

http://www.drunkduck.com/chemistry

Back to top Go down

Need A Lesbian Movie Fix? And Possibly Others? Empty Re: Need A Lesbian Movie Fix? And Possibly Others?

Post  Joneko on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Kissing Jessica Stein was such a good movie, especially with the ending. I won't elaborate because I don't want to give anything away. But I think it was relateable.

My mom was in her "You're gay and that's okay!" phase when that movie came on tv and such, so she'd stuck her head in at like, one am, and went "That movie I was telling you about is on, are you watching?"
"Which movie?"
"Kissing Jessica Stein. It's about lesbians."

So worth being up at one am, that movie.
She was so hilariously weird about it...she started watching LOGO too. A lot.

I keep hearing great things about But I'm A Cheerleader, and I want to see it so badly, but I just haven't had the chance yet.
Joneko
Joneko
Admin

http://joneko.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Need A Lesbian Movie Fix? And Possibly Others? Empty Re: Need A Lesbian Movie Fix? And Possibly Others?

Post  tara on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:40 pm

I really loved But I'm A Cheerleader! I have it. So great. I know it has its "issues" but it was cute and I really enjoyed it all around. Plus Zuko was in it. I MEAN, Dante Basco. And he's adorable.

And I watched Saving Face, I believe it was, with my parents. Kinda awkwarddddd.

How about Hedwig and the Angry Inch? LOVE THAT MOVIE. I'm not big on musicals, but I do love that one so. Or did you mention it and I'm dumb, waitaminute.
tara
tara

http://www.drunkduck.com/Good_Taste

Back to top Go down

Post  eSilva on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:10 am

It DOES have it's issues. At first I really disliked the film but then I realize...how much fun it makes of the gay reforms and that's when I loved it. I know, I'm a hypocrite! lol

Saving Face was actually one of the first films I ever saw.

And omg..how have I not heard of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" (prolly cuz it's trans Razz) but still..it seems crazy (inagoodway). It's a musical??!?!?!?!?!
eSilva
eSilva

Back to top Go down

Post  Joneko on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:29 pm

If we're going to go the musical route -- wait, no, that's not lesbian, that's gay, but La Cage Aux Folles is lovely. But that's...huh. I'm realizing I've seen more about gay men than I ever have about lesbians. Not that there aren't a hundred reasons for that, including the saturation of the LGBT-focused media market with mainly gay men's stuffs.

Not that that's bad or anything. I think I'm going to stop talking now.

There's a new movie that popped up on our iO -- it's Japanese and a woman's romance. And one of the main characters is a very boyish-looking lesbian and incredibly cute, and I want her. I can't remember the name of the movie though, and it's driving me crazy. I'm going to have to find it again. It looks very complex but also, surprisingly free in its sexuality aspects, which I had to admit I didn't expect to see in a movie coming out of Japan.
Joneko
Joneko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:34 pm

ooh, this is so my topic. Don't get me started with the lesbian lists cuz i will go on for hours. And i like ur list; some of those i haven't seen. I will help with the gay titles. Actually, there are more gay movies than lesbian movies so if you're looking for gay movies you should have an easier time of it. Ok, ones that i like and have actually seen are Beautiful Thing, Trick (with Tori Spelling and Coco Peru), Bent (with Clive Owen and Sir Ian Mckellen based on the stage play of the same name), and Kiss me Guido (not the best but its got humor workin for it). Then of course you have mainstream movies like priscilla queen of the desert, to wong foo, the birdcage, torch song, my own private idaho. What about Headwig and the angry inch and rocky horror picture show? do those count? Oh and don't forget Milk. There are some i haven't seen but that i heard were good like the wedding banquet and broken hearts, among others. oh, and anything by Pedro Almodovar is a must see but what comes to mind is the movie: All About My Mother. Did i forget any? I might have to edit this later.bounce

Last edited by bryterlayter on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:37 pm

ok lesbian films this could take awhile. here goes (some i've seen some i haven't) in no particular order: All Over Me, Go Fish, Gia, the Watermelon Woman, When Night is Falling, French Twist (subtitled), some parts of If These Walls Could Talk 2, Fire, Better Than Chocolate, Bound (I know but I still love it and Gina Gershons lips), but i'm a cheerleader, better than chocolate, high art, the increadibly true adventure of two girls in love, personal best. I heard loving annabelle and aimee and jaguar are really good but i've never seen them. And please spare yourself and don't see Claire of the Moon (yawn, yawn, and double yawn; it is so boring). I had to watch Heavenly Creatures for a film class and though I love kate winslet, this peter jackson movie was very unsettling in many places. I also like the hunger but it's more of a vamp flick than anything else and i so love David Bowie and Catherine Denuve. Oh and anything Catherine Denuve is in for that matter (i still think she's sexy) and some of her movies have bi or lesbian content. Did you know Curve magazine used to be called Denuve (I wonder why) but they had to change the name for legal reasons? Wow, i'm just chock full of lesbian trivia! lol. geek

Back to top Go down

Post  eSilva on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:52 pm

Oh right! Priscilla and the birdcage. I forgot those! (mostly because I'm disinterested in gay films) so thanks for the mention of those films as well as all the other you have and will mention! I'm actually starting to think that I should look into them! There was this one gay film, I can't remember the name exactly...but it was very cute. Lol. I know, how descriptive, I know. I did watch it on Logo tho.

Wikipedia has an extensive list of LGBT films tho! I really want to watch the "foreign" ones (i.e. French, German etc.)
eSilva
eSilva

Back to top Go down

Post  eSilva on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:03 pm

I've seen all of those buuuuut....watermelon woman and french twist. I'm not entirely sure about High Art. I think I started it but never finished!

What's watermelon woman all about? What was your opinion of it, I mean. xD
eSilva
eSilva

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:43 am

ok, bear with me cuz i haven't seen these movies in awhile. ok high art has ally sheedy (looking very sexy, i might add) and it's basically about artists, heroin, and they just happen to be lesbians. Watermelon woman is good, it's like Go Fish and it has the same girl from that movie in it. uh, basically she's making a documentary about a black lesbian for the 30's who dated white women and she herself is a black lesbian falling in love with a white woman. So i guess its about interracial dating. They made a big deal about it when it came out because it was the first black lesbian director so that's kinda cool. I saw all of these only once. my disclaimer is that my girlfriend at the time was totally into us seeing all lesbian/gay movies whether they were good/bad or whatever. So we'd watch these and then i'd go what or i dont get it or it was okay and (finally) i liked it. I think i said these two were ok but not exactly memorable like i'd rush to see them again. oh, you know what is a good gay movie to see, Bent because it talks about gays in the holocaust and i knew nothing about that subject. it's a bit of a downer but enlightening.
Also, good is to look into movies that have lesbian subtext cuz it's usually more emotional, such as Fried Green Tomatoes and Foxfire (with Angelina Jolie, Jenny Shmizu).
I remember really likeing French Twist because there was a lot of humor there so it made it enjoyable. Besides Wikipedia, you should check out Wolfe Video cuz they distribute all the gay films and they have tons of titles.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:59 am

ok last thing i promise. We have lots of film festivals over here, Outfest in particular and they would always show these great collections of lesbian shorts. There were two that were my favorite and if i can ever find the titles i would post them up. I think they won awards but after i saw them i wanted to see them again. They were that good. Here what i remember.

one was about these two teachers: obviously (duh) one is the basketball coach and the other probably taught English or something. They fall in love and it was just really well made. Theres a cute scene of them playing basketball together.

The other is about this mother reading her daughter a bedtime story and the story is about two lesbians, like one's a knight in shining armor and the other is a princess that needs to be rescued. At the end of the story, it turns out the story she's been reading to her daughter is about herself and her partner. At the end the daughter is happy because her two mothers are so much in love. It's just really nicely done. I loved it.

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:43 pm

When I first read this thread I went out looking for some of the mentioned movies, and I found only 1 of them. The world unseen, now it has been sitting quitly on my shelf ever since, but I had some time today and looked at my movies about what to watch and I spot The world unseen, I pop it in and I am halfway through before I remember why I got this movie in the first place. But that is a good thing, because I had forgotten I was able to enjoy it as a movie, and not as lez-flick. I actually really liked it, cant really put my finger on why, but I did.
greven
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

http://simongreve.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Joneko on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:30 pm

bryterlayter wrote:
The other is about this mother reading her daughter a bedtime story and the story is about two lesbians, like one's a knight in shining armor and the other is a princess that needs to be rescued. At the end of the story, it turns out the story she's been reading to her daughter is about herself and her partner. At the end the daughter is happy because her two mothers are so much in love. It's just really nicely done. I loved it.

Do want! Name? Please? <3;
Joneko
Joneko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:44 pm

i found it! it's called Sleeping Beauties. I made a mistake, it was a sundance film award winner. i found the entry on Wikipedia. Clea Duvall's in it and i just love her. It's a short film so its not very long. and its by the same director of but i'm a cheerleader. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  shia on Sat May 23, 2009 12:15 pm

Thank you... so much... for this list...

-falls worshipping at your feet-
shia
shia

Back to top Go down

Post  greven on Sat May 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Uhhh uhhhhh UUUUHHHHH! I got one I got one ME ME ME! Take me I got one!
Oh yeah we dont raise hands here do we?

Okay okay I got one. The only movie I can add to the list, hell the only GLBT movie I have seen not on the existing list.
It is called Shortbus and in all its simplicity it is about a couple counselor who cant have an orgasm.
Look explaining this movie is an inch away from impossible. There is so much going on in it, all so brilliantly paced. You know tose chick flicks where you follow 3 girls who fall in love and in the end it all comes together in one big perfect love story (That is how my sister puts it anyway)?
This is pretty much it, but there is so much more to it than that. You follow a time of change for the before mentioned counselor, as well as a depressed gay person, and a bunch of other strange personalities.
I think eSilva described it best: "A film following new yorkers trying to figure out who they are."
At least that is what I think she said... something along those lines anyway.

Last edited by greven on Wed May 27, 2009 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
greven
greven

Location : I am most likely in front of my laptop in Denmark... or in front of my TV.

http://simongreve.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  eSilva on Wed May 27, 2009 9:15 pm

after I read what you thought I had said...I forgot what I really had said! I think I was talking about sexual discovery, yeah, I'll go with that.
(btw you missed your "bolding") As for the movie I still need to find it! I think i'll have to turn to the internet in order to get the film from like amazon or something..Sad

and youre welcome shia!!
eSilva
eSilva

Back to top Go down

Post  alain1609 on Sat May 30, 2009 7:50 am

eSilva wrote:Oh right! Priscilla and the birdcage. I forgot those! (mostly because I'm disinterested in gay films) so thanks for the mention of those films as well as all the other you have and will mention! I'm actually starting to think that I should look into them! There was this one gay film, I can't remember the name exactly...but it was very cute. Lol. I know, how descriptive, I know. I did watch it on Logo tho.

Wikipedia has an extensive list of LGBT films tho! I really want to watch the "foreign" ones (i.e. French, German etc.)

i can only help you in the foreigh departmen with "A MI MADRE LE GUSTAN LAS MUJERES"(my mother likes girls)
a very funny movie. is about a separated woman that tell her 3 daughters thet she's a lesbian Shocked yes, what would you do if you were one of thedaughters is a spanish movie ~i'm clarifying Spain not Mexico.

have you mention????
I've Heard the Mermaids Singing
Go Fish
If These Walls Could Talk 2
Better Than Chocolate
Desert Hearts
enfermeras de amor~i think in english would be lovesick, i'm not sure scratch )
alain1609
alain1609

Back to top Go down

Post  eSilva on Sat May 30, 2009 7:27 pm

Oh I've heard of that movie. I never watched it but I had always wanted to, so thanks Smile

All those other movies have already been mentioned by either me or bryter with the exception of "I've heard the mermaids singing" but could you explain that one a bit more if you have already watched it Very Happy it sounds very interesting!

If I was one of the girls i would feel as if my mother was copying me, lol. What I mean by that is that I wouldn't have something of my life of my own that I didn't have to share with someone else from my family. I know that it's a wonderful thing to have supportive parents but I would never be able to handle it when my mother spoke about...that, with another woman. overall I'd be like she is now, supportive.
eSilva
eSilva

Back to top Go down

Post  alain1609 on Sat May 30, 2009 9:43 pm

well, about "a mi madre le gustan las mujeres", tell me about it. i want to know you're opinion.
very curious Smile

and about "I've heard the mermaids singing", is about an ackward girl (whe're one or know one) named poly that got a job as a secretary in a photograph gallery. got a crush or fell in love with her boss gabrielle(her job is to choose the pictures for the gallery~i don't know what is it call~) but she is very sexy so obviously, she has a girlfriend!!!

polly, has the hooby of taking pictures so she anonymously send hers to gaby but she rejects the, she quit and get into deppresion, i'm not telling you the rest, you have to watch it. watch itttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!

~correct me if i'm wrong with my vocabulary, helps me a lot~ study
alain1609
alain1609

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down